The Dangers of Amalgam (Mercury) Fillings

Visiting the dentist and practicing daily oral hygiene habits are vital for oral health and preventing oral-related disease. But did you know that the fillings your dentist gave you years ago to fix your cavities could actually be hurting your health?

Amalgam Fillings 101

Unless you just recently got a cavity filled, chances are you have had amalgam fillings put in. Amalgam is made up of about 50% liquid mercury, and powered metals including silver, tin, and copper. These fillings look silver in color and are very recognizable. Amalgam fillings have been used for many years as dentists’ number one filling choice to repair cavities. However, science is now finding that amalgam fillings release toxic mercury into the bodies of everyone who has them and can cause serious illness. In fact, amalgam fillings release toxic mercury that travels through the body to every vital organ.

Toxic mercury vapors are released easily with normal stimulation like chewing, grinding teeth, heat, and dental cleanings. It is as simple as drinking a cup of hot tea or coffee to activate the release of mercury vapors. And most people enjoy these beverages on a daily basis.

Serious Health Effects of Mercury Exposure

It doesn’t have to take one large dose of mercury exposure to activate toxicity in the body; small doses of long-term exposure like from amalgam fillings are more than enough to cause kidney, urological, brain, fertility, neurological, and renal problems.

Signs of Mercury Toxicity from Amalgam Fillings

According to the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology, the symptoms of mercury toxicity from amalgam fillings to look out for include: irritability, anxiety, memory loss, concentration issues, drowsiness, insomnia, depression, tingling in the hands and feet, muscle weakness, balance problems, tremors in the hands, feet, and eyes, bleeding gums, pain in the brain, stiff neck and shoulders, metallic taste, numbing in the face, burning and tingling of the lips, ringing ears, speech impairment, and nausea.

Like with any health issue, the symptoms vary from person to person and you may not experience any of these issues, or have different ones, and still have mercury poisoning. The only way to really know if you have mercury toxicity from amalgam fillings is to get your mouth checked out by a dental practitioner who doesn’t use amalgam fillings. They will be more likely to help you and tell you the truths about the dangers of amalgam.

Amalgam Filling Alternatives

Luckily, there are other options to treating cavities than amalgam fillings. There are white-colored composite fillings that are much better for your health and won’t cause toxicity. Make an appointment with a dentist who does not use amalgam fillings and speak with them about what you should do to get rid of your amalgam fillings.

Safe Practices to Remove Amalgam Fillings

It is key for a licensed and experienced dental practitioner to remove amalgam fillings using the proper methods. If safe, proper techniques are not employed, removal can potentially do more damage than good by releasing a large dose of mercury through the disruption of the fillings. A qualified, holistic dental practitioner will know how to remove them properly, and advise you on nutritional support and metal detoxification for mercury exposure.

Do you know if you have amalgam fillings? Aren’t sure? Contact Infinite Dental Wellness who can determine your dangers of mercury toxicity, remove amalgam fillings, and replace them with safe, non-toxic composite fillings.

START TYPING AND PRESS ENTER TO SEARCH